Welcome to The Junction Hotel

The Grahamstown Bar and Diner, Thames best restaurant! There are facilities to accommodate private functions and large parties. The GBD is open daily from 11am to 10pm offering an affordable array of delicious food. Click here to view our menu.

The Junction Hotel Accommodation has 17 rooms with a mix of backpacker dorm rooms, single, twin, double and triple rooms. There are bed-only or rooms with ensuite available. There is a guest lounge downstairs. Click here to enquire about options for your stay
Check out our New Super Saver Deals NOW!!

The Public Bar (The Local) has been fully refurbished. It has an 18 machine gaming room, Sky TV, pool table and jukebox, plus the friendliest bunch of locals to have a quiet one with. Click here see what's happening weekly in The Local.



The Junction Hotel opened its doors in 1869 to cater for the gold miners of the Thames Goldfields.
It was remodelled in 1888, with further additions in 1901. Thames was once a romantic and magnificent gold mining town with an estimated population of 20,000 at its peak, surpassing that of Auckland. The Junction was one of over 80 hotels in Thames and 1 of 20 on the 2km main street, Pollen Street.

Only seven of these original Hotels remain. Like most hotels in Thames, it has endured its fair share of ups and downs, floods, ownership changes and refurbishments but two things have remained the same for over 140 years:


  • It has always operated as a hotel.
  • Its name has always been The Junction.

The Junction's name originated from its position at the junction of the old Grahamstown and Shortland, bounded by the Karaka creek. It is now recognized by the NZ Historic places trust as a Category 2 heritage building.

In January 2010 The Junction Hotel embarked on a new adventure, with a change in ownership and a restoration underway.

The Junction is a member of Totally Thames as well as Transition Town Thames 





Chris and Jane Rollitt purchased the Junction Hotel in January 2010. Originally from Paeroa, just 20 minutes down the road from Thames, Chris has lived in Hamilton for the last thirty years. In 2001 Chris and Jane restored the historic Cook Café & Bar in Hamilton East. The Junction Hotel has been a similar project, and already they have given the building a new paint job, built a new public bar and recently opened The Grahamstown Bar and Diner.
2012,  The GBD restaurant manager, Karl Edmonds, buys the accommodation & restaurant from Chris & Jane Rollitt.